Dyeing for Color

I love dyeing yarn. It’s just fun and unpredictable. Love it!

So, semi-recently I bought up a couple of skeins of Lion Brand Fisherman’s Wool in Natural and Oatmeal specifically for dyeing.


Since one skein of that stuff is more than 450 yards of worsted weight yarn, I decided to split them into two hands each.



Don’t they look all natural and woolie! Even though they are beautiful and fabulous in their natural state, once I got them hanked up, I got to dyeing.

Now, let me say one thing about experimental dyeing. Sometimes it goes a little haywire. Sometimes your first round of results are simply ugly and you are forced to overdye it in an desperate attempt to cover up your shame.

Well, with that in mind, I will admit that the results of two of the three hanks (one natural and one oatmeal) were hideous. I tried to use kool-aid in different colors to get a handpainted variegated look. Yeah, well, it went bad…waaaaay bad. Just fugly. I didn’t take pictures – I just overdyed it with RIT dye at the first opportunity I had.


See, the two teal colored skeins have streaks of purple (far left) and redish (far right) – that’s the Kool-Aid peeking thru the Teal RIT dye overdye job that I used to help hide my dyeing shame. As for the rosy middle skein, it came out a little tonal (shows better in person) and I love it.

For my last hank I went straight for the RIT. No messing around with Kool-Aid this time.


!!!!!

Black and Gray awesomeness! Don’t you just luuuuuuve it!

To get that fancy two-tone action going, I simply dumped 75% of the skein in the dye bath for 30 minutes and then dunked the remaining 25% of the yarn in for only 5 or 6 minutes. Love it. Love it. Love it.

Overall I’m really happy with all of it. Seriously, I even love the teal overdye madness yarn. How can you not love your babies?

😉


Advertisements

10 Comments (+add yours?)

  1. jborders
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 16:36:38

    Those turned out great! I love the “teal” ones though they look more purple-ish to me.

    Reply

  2. pandorra7
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 16:41:39

    Yarn-dyeing is the BEST! EVER! IN THE WHOLE WORLD! REALLY.

    Reply

  3. Sandra Licher
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 17:27:01

    I’ve dyed wool fabric for my applique but never yarn but now that I’ve seen yours…..it looks like fun and what great colors you came out with. I was peeling beets tonight and was thinking about saving them but I didn’t……darn! LOL!
    I do over dyeing also taking a colored wool and putting it in with another colored wool. I wonder if you could do that with yarn? Probably but with the cost of yarn would I want to? My wool is from old clothes I get cheap and I can do small pieces at a time.
    Your yarn turned out REALLY great…..I love the different colors you got throughout. Noro watch out!

    Reply

  4. bapsi
    Aug 01, 2012 @ 20:21:43

    nice ones! and nice save on those 2 hanks [though i doubt they looked THAT bad the first time around xD

    Reply

    • cheletopia
      Aug 02, 2012 @ 10:13:26

      Thanks!

      Oh no…make no mistake. When my friend Eve (pandorra7) saw them before I overdyed them, she described them as hideous and really ugly. (She’s a shy bird!)

      Reply

  5. Trackback: June & July 2012 Goals Results Show « cheletopia

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: