10 Aug 2012
in Books, Crafty, Goals, House, Year of Projects
Tags: crafty, crochet, fiber, house, knitting, Ravellenics, ravelry, reading, sewing, swap, yarn, yop, yop1213
Goooooooaaaaaaaaaals! Okay, so I have a short list this month all the way around because I want to concentrate on working on a few things rather than be spread all over the place.
Crafty Goals (7)
- Finish Piper’s Journey
- Work on Kaya Shrug
- Work on Something Blue Shawl
- Announce Put it in the Bag Sewing Challenge
- Spin 4 ounces of fiber
- Make 5 dishcloths for the 2012 Dishcloth Swap
- Participate in the second week of the Ravellenic Games
- Stay on top of YOP postings
Reading Goals (1)
- Freakin’ finish 50 Shades of Gray: Darker
Yes, I noticed that I don’t have any house goals this month. Fact of the matter is that there are a number of things that my dad and I want to get done to the house ASAP but they depend on other people’s schedule and $$$. Therefore that stuff will happen when it happens. Just know that it is happening – and soon!
08 Aug 2012
in Books, Crafty, Goals, House
Tags: crafty, house, knitting, landscape, list, Ravellenics, shawl, yarn
There’s a lot to cover since I’m combining my goal results from June and July so let’s get started!
- Finish 198 Yards of Heaven Shawl – Done! Read about it here
- Start and finish Piper’s Journey Shawl – 50% Done
You can see my progress here
- Finish my LaLa’s Simple Shawl – Done! Read about it here
- Work thru Magic Loop Socks Tutorial (by VeryPink) – Done! Read about it here
- Start Leaves of Grass Shawl/Pi-Shawl – Done! Read about it here
- Start Kaya Cropped Raglan Shrug – Done! Read about it here
- Post weekly updates for Year of Projects challenge – Done! Read about it here & here & here & here
- Make and post Ravellenics Plans (by July 20th) – Done! Read about it here
- Participate in the 2012 Ravellenics (Go Team Mine!!!!!) – Done! Read about it here
Working on some spinning, my Op Top hat and some dishcloths. I was going to work on finishing up my Modern Garden Cardigan for the Ravellenics but it just takes too much thought with charts and whatnot to working on while cheering and crying over the Olympics.
- Finish spa cloths for Annual Dishcloth Swap – Epic Fail
Haven’t even started a new set since Eve squashed my original idea. Sadness L First thing on my list to take care of after I wrap up with the Ravellenics!
- Stash cotton yarn and Vanna’s Choice on Ravelry – Epic Fail
Decided just to stash new/incoming yarn and fiber. I may come back to this one day but we’ll have to see about that.
- Take pictures of Modern Garden Cardigan & Op Top and post to Ravelry – Done! Read about it here & here
- Dye 16oz of Fisherman’s Wool with Kool-Aid – Done! Read about it
- Finish Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James and start the second book of the series – Done!
I’m still working on the second book…with very mixed feelings.
- Start Catching Fire (Book #2 in The Hunger Games Trilogy) by S. Collins – Postponed…
For some unknown reason I want to finish the Fifty Shades of Grey series before I get back to the Hunger Games books. No clue why. None. I’m sure that after finishing Fifty I will be aching for some good writing, solid characters and easy reading. For the love of Bob…
House and Yard Goals
- Green up the backyard – Done(ish)!
My Dad and I really tried to green up the backyard. There was watering, weed & feeding and even reseeding. Some grass grew, the weeds flourished and then everything else just turned brown and died no matter what we tried. Lame. We’ve kinda given up on what’s back there and decided it will be best to just dig it up and replant. My uncle said he would help with the official killing and tilling and of the “grass” sometime soon. I’m thinking about planting Kentucky Bluegrass so I can have a pretty greenish-blue lawn that’s apparently deer resistant. Cause, you know, we have deer issues in urban Los Angeles (LOL!).
- Start planting and arranging potted plants on patio – Done!
I’ve planted a ton of plants between the patio and along the sides of the house lately. Some are doing better than others (such an understatement…my Cone Flower is UNHAPPY) so I’m moving things around still trying to find the right placement/sunlight/shade/water/etc. Pictures to come once things get more finalized and stop trying to die on me.
- Buy doormats (for both front and side door) – Done!
- Continue planting plants in the front flowerbeds – Done! Read about it here
- Buy new bedspread/comforter – Postponed!
Toooooooo hot to even be thinking about buying a comforter…I’m currently sleeping on top of my covers as it is! Will cross this bridge as we approach Fall.
- Fire gardener and start taking care of the front yard – Done!
Make no mistake, I didn’t do this because I like cutting the lawn and weeding and whatnot. Not. A. Fan. to be quite honest. But, I was given a brand new lawnmower as a thank you gift from a friend for painting their garage so I don’t have an excuse for not using it. And, I’ve found that instead of weeding I can squirt weeds with Round-Up and ignore them. My kind of “weeding”!!! Totally saving something like $40 a month. Plus my gardener’s son wears wayyyyy to much cologne when he comes to deliver bills/collect payments. Ugh…I can smell him for a solid 15 minutes after he leaves my house…Blah.
10 Jul 2012
in Books, Crafty, Goals, House, Year of Projects
Tags: crafty, diy, knitting, landscape, list, plants, reading, stashdash12, yarn, yop
Okay, I haven’t posted my results for my June goals yet, but they will be coming soon! I promise! But seeing how we are well into July, I wanted to get my July goals up (especially since I’m already working on a number of them!).
Again, I think I’m a little heavy on the crafty goals this month, but I can’t help myself! The yarn calls my name. Plus, I’m participating in a number of challenges at the moment – StashDash2012, Year of Projects/Blog-a-long, Ravellenics Games – and I’m trying desperately to reach all of my goals associated with each challenge. Thanks goodness they all overlap!
Crafty Goals (8)
- Finish my Piper’s Journey
- Finish my LaLa’s Simple Shawl
- Make 2nd Very Pink Sock
- Start Leaves of Grass Shawl
- Start Kaya Cropped Raglan Shrug
- Post weekly updates for Year of Projects challenge
- Make and post Ravellenics Plans (by July 20th)
- Participate in the 2012 Ravellenics (Go Team Mine!!!!!)
Reading Goals (1)
- Start Fifty Shades of Grey: Darker by E. L. James
House and Yard Goals (2)
- Green up backyard
- Start planting and arranging potted plants on patio
29 Jun 2012
Tags: house, landscape, plants
In an effort to warm up the house a bit and make it more inviting and welcoming, I decided to spruce things up a bit. Here’s the front of the house before I got my hands dirty – which usually I’m not a fan of…
Here are some close-ups of the flowerbeds. So empty…
Bare and a little sad. =(
But after some major planting one weekend, spreading some mulch, and lots of water things have made a turn for the better!
I added the following plants to the flowerbeds:
- 3 pink Hydrangeas
- 1 Rue
- 2 Oysters (dwarf)
- 3 orange Kangaroo (Joey) Paws
- 2 Henna
- 1 random tree thing that’s trying to die on me (which is why it’s not in any of the pictures…it’s going to get moved to a better place very, very, VERY soon)
I’m very happy and can’t wait for everything to fill in and get BIGGER!!!
Clearly I need a 4-door car or a boyfriend with a truck. But until then, I will continue cramming shit into my 2-door Civic.
Years of playing Tetris coming into play. Awesomesauce.
08 Jun 2012
in Books, Crafty, House
Tags: crafty, crochet, diy, dyeing yarn, house, knitting, landscape, list, plants, ravelry, reading, yarn
While I didn’t complete all of my from my May Goals list, it was a very successful month of crafting, reading and house/yard work. With the summer settling in quite nicely here in Southern California this June, I see lots of opportunities to read outside at coffee shops, knit/crochet in public and do some outside house and yard work making it very easy to meet my goals this month.
Trust me, I know this month is looking VERY craft heavy, but that’s because I’m participating in The Knit Girllls’ Stash Dash 2012 (end of May to mid-August), the Ravelympics (end of July to early August) and the Annual Dishcloth Swap (mid August)! Apparently I can’t say no to a yarnie challenge and I have a slight case of startitis! (Must knit all the yarn!)
Crafty Goals (9)
- Finish 198 Yards of Heaven Shawl
- Start Piper’s Journey (get to lace edging)
- Start Pi Shawl (first 25 rounds)
- Finish spa cloths for Annual Dishcloth Swap (I’m magically 90% done with them!!!)
- Work thru Magic Loop Socks Tutorial (by VeryPink) – 1st sock
- Finish stashing cotton yarn on Ravelry
- Stash ton-o-Vanna’s Choice on Ravelry
- Take pictures of Modern Garden Cardigan & Op Top and post to Ravelry
- Dye 16oz of Fisherman’s Wool with Kool-Aid
Reading Goals (2)
- Finish Fifty Shades of Grey by E. L. James
- Start Catching Fire (Book #2 in The Hunger Games Trilogy) by S. Collins
House and Yard Goals (4)
03 Jun 2012
in Books, Crafty, House
Tags: crafty, diy, dyeing yarn, house, knitting, landscape, list, plants, ravelry, yarn
- Pick and test a dishcloth pattern for Annual Dishcloth Swap – 50% Done
I think I’ve picked Grandmother’s Favorite as my pattern but I didn’t do a test knit (I’ve already made it a million times though!). I do have something cool in mind to make the pattern more interesting….details in June…
- Crochet a pin cushion – Nope, couldn’t find one I wanted to make…
Sadness…Will probably end up buying a funky shaped one over the summer some time (avec a coupon of course).
- Knit Star Crossed Slouchy Beret for Saori – Done with details here and here!
- Start 198 Yards of Heaven shawl – Done with details here!
- Hand dye Knit Picks Wool of the Andes Bare yarn – Done with details and a how-to here!
(Top: Orange Cascade 220 that was overdyed with RIT Wine dye; Bottom: Knit Picks Bare that was dyed with RIT Evening Blue dye)
- Stash all full skeins of cotton yarn on my Ravelry stash page – Mostly done here
Will finish this up along with stashing all of my Vanna’s Choice and acrylic yarn in June!
- Read 50 Shades of Gray by E. L. James – 56% Complete
It took me a while to open and get my Kindle up and running but I finally did and the first thing I downloaded was 50 Shades of Grey. It’s going well so far even though the prose isn’t great. But what it lacks in literary quality it makes up in guilty pleasure reading hotness! Very, very hot!
House and Yard Goals
- Plant ground cover in tiny flowerbed in front of house (under bathroom windows) – Done and more!
Instead of buying a whole flat of this stuff I asked a friend of mine at work if I could clip some of the overgrowth at work. Free and easy! I also bought some other plants!
- Feed backyard – 50% Done
It took me a minute to actually make my way over to Lowe’s and buy the type of weed and feed I wanted to put on the backyard (the type that you attach and spray on with the water hose). Now that I have what I need its always to windy to do it when I get home. I definitely don’t want this stuff spraying back in my face or on the puppy. Hopeful I can get this taken care of in June. Maybe…
Not bad! I didn’t get everything taken care of on my list but I feel like I accomplished a ton. I’m pleased.
20 May 2012
in Crafty, House
Tags: before and after, cleaning, crafty, house, yarn
Remember this room?
Yeah, well, this happened…
Over the course of moving in and unpacking, this room became the “Just put it in the front room for right now” room. Needless to say, we put a lot of stuff in this room “for right now”.
Well, it couldn’t stay like this forever simply because it was downright embarrassing and I couldn’t find shit. It was also scheduled to be swap headquarters for the 2012 Potholder Swap Day and this kinda crazy just wouldn’t do.
After a few nights of cleaning and organizing and my dad coming over to help with the chaos in the closet – ta daaaa! – organized awesomeness!
Even the closet got semi-organized!
Yeah! Soon enough there will be drapes, chairs, extra storage, (a spinning wheel eventually), etc., but for now I’m just happy that it’s organized and I can find stuff! Craft room happiness achieved!
What? Why yes, I do have a lot of yarn and multiple sewing machines. Why do you ask?